Black mold

What Is Black Mold?

Black mold is a type of fungus that thrives in moist and humid conditions. The term black mold can be confusing because it refers to two different types of mold: one that is dark, almost black in color, and another that is very poisonous. The dark black mold you might see when cleaning or browsing images online is not the same as the toxic brown or yellowish-brown mold with the same name. The former type of black mold (also called “endophytic” or “positive” molds) isn’t dangerous at all; and can actually be good for your air quality. However, if left untreated, the other type of black mold can have serious health consequences. This article explains more about these two different types of molds, including how you can identify and remove them from your home.


What is non-toxic dark black mold?

Dark black mold is a non-toxic variety that is dark in color due to a high level of cellulose in its cell walls. This cellulose is what gives plants their structural strength, so it makes sense that the mold would have it too. This cellulose is what makes the dark black mold good for your indoor air quality, as it helps filter out pollutants and chemicals from the air. It’s also beneficial to human health, as it is known to have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. The dark black mold type is commonly found in moist, humid climates, as it requires lots of water to grow. This means that it is often found in the bathroom or kitchen, where humidity is high. Dark black mold is also commonly found in soil and plants, especially on the leaves.


What is the toxic black mold?

Toxic black mold is a very serious type of mold that can cause allergic reactions, asthma and headaches. Unlike the non-toxic black mold, this type thrives in warm, dry environments, as it requires less water to grow. This means that toxic black mold is more likely found in places like attics and basements, where it can get warm and be stored away from the water in the rest of the house. Toxic black mold is the kind of mold that is often referred to when people talk about black mold. This type of mold releases mycotoxins, which are very toxic to humans. The mycotoxins are what make toxic black mold dangerous, not the black color of the mold itself.


How to Spot the Difference

The easiest way to spot the difference between toxic and non-toxic black mold is by its color. Toxic black mold is dark brown or yellowish-brown and non-toxic dark black mold is dark green. Another way to tell the difference between toxic and non-toxic black mold is by its growth pattern. Toxic black mold is stringy looking and tends to grow up walls and across ceilings. Non-toxic dark black mold is thick, almost leaf-like, in appearance.


Why Is Black Mold Dangerous?

The mycotoxins released by the toxic black mold are dangerous because they can be harmful, even fatal, to humans. The effects of mycotoxins depend on how much you are exposed to, but they can cause a wide range of symptoms, including: – Allergic reactions, Headaches, Asthma attacks, Flu-like symptoms, General weakness, Nausea, Respiratory problems, Skin irritation, and Immune system suppression.

These mycotoxins can be found in both indoor and outdoor environments, but they are more harmful indoors, as they cannot be removed by outdoor cleaners. Above all, the biggest danger posed by toxic black mold is its ability to cause a severe allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to it. The reaction can vary in severity from person to person, but many people experience headaches, rashes or flu-like symptoms.


How to Remove Black Mold?

The best way to remove toxic black mold from your home is to hire a professional. RiteRestore professionals have the experience and equipment to safely identify, remove, and sanitize your property if toxic black mold is found. It can be difficult to identify toxic black mold, so it is important to contact a professional if you aren’t sure what type of mold is growing in your property. If professionals identify that you have non-toxic dark black mold in your home, you don’t need to worry. This type of mold isn’t harmful and can be removed with traditional or natural cleaning solutions like vinegar.


Final Thoughts

It is important to remember that not all black colored mold is dangerous. In fact, the dark black mold type is actually beneficial to your home and can even protect you from the dangers of toxic black mold. If you are worried that you might have toxic black mold in your home, it is important to contact a professional to have it assessed. Toxic black mold can spread quickly causing serious damage to your property and safety concerns for occupants. If you want to keep toxic black mold out of your property, you will need to take preventative measures. You should make sure all leaky pipes are repaired and that you have an efficient ventilation system in your property. If you experience a water emergency like flooding or a broken pipe you should contact professionals quickly to clean and dry you property as toxic black mold can form within 24 to 48 hours after water exposure.

Scroll to Top